YH2O Mentoring Program
The Baltimore City Mayor’s Office of Employment Development (MOED) and Department of Public Works (DPW) has partnered with the Chesapeake Water Environment Association (CWEA) to design and operate the YH2O Career Mentoring Program (“YH2O”) for Baltimore City residents. The selection criteria are as follows: residents who are between the ages 18-24, who have a high school diploma or GED, are unemployed or underemployed, and, are not currently enrolled in a job training program or post-secondary education. Baltimore City is proud of the 131 young men and women who have successfully completed YH2O since its inception in 2015.
WHAT IS YH2O?
YH2O is a program that prepares young adults to be employed in full-time jobs within the water industry at the completion of the program. The goals of YH20 are to:
- Educate Baltimore City young adults about the water industry and its career opportunities
- Develop a pipeline of future workers with the right skills to fill entry-level positions in the water industry
YH2O consists of 3 phases including:
- Phase I: Participants complete skill and interest assessments, take part in basic job readiness training, and are introduced to the water industry. (Time commitment: 2 days/week, 3 hours each day, for 10 weeks)
- Phase II: Participants explore a variety of career options available within the water industry, take part in job shadowing experiences and worksite tours, and, are paired with a career coach. (Time commitment: 2 days/week, 3 hours each day, for 10 weeks)
WHEN DOES YH2O TAKE PLACE?
YH2O recruitment and interviews begin mid-October and the program will begin on October 24 and end on December 23.
WHERE IS YH2O HELD?
Most YH2O activities will be held at the MOED Youth Services headquarters located at 101 W. 24th ST., Baltimore, MD 21218. Field trips and job shadowing will be held offsite
WHY SHOULD I APPLY?
Baltimore City’s water industry offers immediate full-time entry-level job opportunities with the potential for career growth and advancement. YH2O Participants will receive:
- Job Readiness and Hands-on Training
- Worksite Tours
- Job Shadowing
- Water Industry Career Exploration