YH2O Mentoring Program
The Baltimore City Mayor’s Office of Employment Development (MOED) and Department of Public Works (DPW) has partnered with the Chesapeake Water Environment Association (CWEA) to design and operate the YH2O Career Mentoring Program (“YH2O”) for Baltimore City residents, ages 18-24, who have a high school diploma or GED, are unemployed or underemployed and, are not currently enrolled in a job training program or post-secondary education. Baltimore City is proud of the 145 young men and women who have successfully completed YH2O since its inception in 2015.
WHAT IS YH2O?
YH2O is a six-month program which prepares young adults to be employed in full-time jobs within the water industry at the completion of the program. The goals of YH20 are to:
- Educate Baltimore City young adults about the water industry and its career opportunities
- Develop a pipeline of future workers with the right skills to fill entry-level positions in the water industry
YH2O consists of 3 phases including:
- Phase I: Participants complete skill and interest assessments, take part in basic job readiness training, and are introduced to the water industry. (Time commitment: 2 days/week, 3 hours each day, for 9 weeks)
- Phase II: Participants explore a variety of career options available within the water industry, take part in job shadowing experiences and worksite tours and, are paired with a career coach. (Time commitment: 2 days/week, 3 hours each day, for 10 weeks)
- Phase III: Participants are placed in PAID summer jobs through YouthWorks and begin interviewing for full-time positions. (Time commitment: 5 days/week, 5 hours each day for 5 weeks)
WHEN DOES YH2O TAKE PLACE?
YH2O recruitment and interviews have now ended for 2022. Next recruitment period will begin in January, 2023.
WHERE IS YH2O HELD?
Most YH2O activities will be held at the DPW Youth Services headquarters located at 200 N. Holliday Street, Baltimore, MD 21202. Field trips and job-shadowing will be held offsite.
WHY SHOULD I APPLY?
Baltimore City’s water industry offers immediate full-time entry-level job opportunities with the potential for career growth and advancement.
- Job Readiness and Hands-on Training
- Worksite Tours
- Job Shadowing
- Summer Jobs through YouthWorks
- Water Industry Career Exploration
- An Individual Career Coach