YH2O Mentoring Program
The Baltimore City Mayor’s Office of Employment Development (MOED) and Department of Public Works (DPW) has partnered with the Chesapeake Water Environment Association (CWEA) to design and operate the YH2O Career Mentoring Program (“YH2O”) for Baltimore City residents, ages 18-24, who have a high school diploma or GED, are unemployed or underemployed and, are not currently enrolled in a job training program or post-secondary education. Baltimore City is proud of the 96 young men and women who have successfully completed YH2O since its inception in 2015.
WHAT IS YH2O?
YH2O is a six-month program that prepares young adults to be employed in full-time jobs within the water industry at the completion of the program. The goals of YH20 are to:
- Educate Baltimore City young adults about the water industry and its career opportunities
- Develop a pipeline of future workers with the right skills to fill entry-level positions in the water industry
YH2O consists of 3 phases including:
- Phase I: Participants complete skill and interest assessments, take part in basic job readiness training, and are introduced to the water industry. (Time commitment: 2 days/week, 3 hours each day, for 9 weeks)
- Phase II: Participants explore a variety of career options available within the water industry, take part in job shadowing experiences and worksite tours and, are paired with a career coach. (Time commitment: 2 days/week, 3 hours each day, for 10 weeks)
- Phase III: Participants are placed in PAID summer jobs through YouthWorks and begin interviewing for full-time positions. (Time commitment: 5 days/week, 5 hours each day for 5 weeks)
WHEN DOES YH2O TAKE PLACE?
YH2O application and recruitment period is January 25 - February 26, 2021. Interviews will be held on March 8 and 9, 2021. The program starts March 15, 2021. (The DEADLINE to apply to the 2021 YH2O program has been extended to Wednesday, March 3, 2021)
WHERE IS YH2O HELD?
Most YH2O activities are held at the MOED Youth Services headquarters located at 101 W. 24th Street, Baltimore, MD 21218. Field trips and job-shadowing will be held offsite.
HOW CAN I APPLY?
Applications are available for download from the button below and delivered to MOED, 101 West 24th Street by February 26, 2021. To submit an application online, please visit the MOED website. (The DEADLINE to apply to the 2021 YH2O program has been extended to Wednesday, March 3, 2021)
WHY SHOULD I APPLY?
Baltimore City’s water industry offers immediate full-time entry-level job opportunities with the potential for career growth and advancement. YH2O Participants will receive:
- Job Readiness and Hands-on Training
- Worksite Tours
- Job Shadowing
- Summer Jobs through YouthWorks
- Water Industry Career Exploration
- An Individual Career Coach