- 1729 - Baltimore founded. Water obtained from streams, ponds, springs and wells.
- 1787 - Law requires each household to have two leather buckets available to fight fires. Town Commissioners empowered to sink wells and erect pumps for this purpose on private property if requested by owner and at his expense.
- 1797 - Baltimore City incorporated.
- 1804 - Mayor and City Council of Baltimore begin efforts to construct water system.
- 1804 - Baltimore Water Company founded.
- 1807 - Jones Falls waterworks constructed.
- 1810 - City begins buying and preserving springs and fountains for public water supply, including Center Fountain at Market Place.
- 1854 - Baltimore Water Company purchased by City of Baltimore for $1,350,000. Water Department created.
- 1858 -1862 - Lake Roland Dam built across Jones Falls; mains and conduits constructed.
- 1873 - Temporary pumping station constructed for Gunpowder Falls.
Man in tunnel
- 1875 -1881 - Dam built across Gunpowder Falls; Lake Montebello and connection tunnel constructed.
- 1928 - Second filtration plant opens at Lake Montebello along with additional pumping stations.
- 1933 - Construction completed of Prettyboy Dam and Reservoir on Gunpowder Falls upstream of Loch Raven Reservoir.
- 1936 - Prettyboy Dam and Reservoir operational.
- 1951-1954 -Construction of Liberty Dam on North Branch Patapsco River.
- 1956 - Ashburton Filtration Plant activated.
- 1958 - Susquehanna Pipeline and Montebello Raw Water Distribution Center construction begun.
- 1979 - Bureau of Water and Wastewater established
2005 - Loch Raven Dam rededicated after strengthening which doubled its mass.