Reducing Your Stormwater Fee

Single-family property owners can receive credit by installing and maintaining stormwater treatment practices and for volunteering in hands-on activities. These include:

  • Installing stormwater treatment practices such as trees and rain gardens, which treat runoff and decrease the quantity of stormwater entering the City’s drainage system.
  • Participating in organized volunteer activities like tree planting and trash clean-ups that provide direct water quality benefits and increase awareness. People who volunteer can earn hours toward a credit on their stormwater fee. Learn how to register a Stormwater Participation Event.

For more information download the Single Family Property Guidance Document.

Additionally, there are several different credits and reduction programs available to businesses, churches, non-profits, and industries. These include:

  • Stormwater Treatment Practices
  • Vacant lots with less than 50 square feet of impervious area
  • Small developments of up to 820 square feet of impervious area
  • Holding a NPDES Industrial Stormwater Discharge Permit
  • Owning and maintaining a private harbor discharge.

Beginning in Fiscal Year 2018, eligible, tax-exempt organizations can apply for a hardship exemption from their Stormwater Remediation Fee by submitting an alternative compliance plan. The plan provides these organizations the flexibility to protect the environment and reduce the burden on the City’s municipal separate storm sewer system by implementing practices to reduce stormwater runoff and pollution.

Faith organizations can also receive a stormwater fee reduction for their places of worship and schools. For more information about this reduction program, and the various credits listed above, refer to the Non-Single Family Property Guidance Document.