APPLICATION FOR THE SEWAGE BACKUP EXPEDITED REIMBURSEMENT PROGRAM
- Damage was caused by a capacity-related wet weather event (A capacity-related wet weather event occurs when
- sewer lines surcharge or overflow following at least ¼ inch of recorded precipitation within a 24-hour period).
- Applicant is a City residential customer (i.e., homeowner or tenant).
- Sewage backup event occurred after April 6, 2018.
- Applicant reported incident via 311 or www.baltimorecity.gov/311-services.
Once reported, complete applications with supporting documentation must be received within 90 days of the incident. Applications not received within 90 days may be denied as untimely. No other communication(s) will be considered a request for reimbursement. Applicants may fill out this application electronically or submit a hard copy by mail. Electronic submittal is not required. You must fill out all areas of this application and provide copies of all relevant supporting documentation before your application can be processed.
- Copies of all cleaning and disinfection receipts arising from the sewage backup expenses.
- Tenants: Copy of your lease signed by the property owner of record.
- Owner/Tenant Representative: Proof of power of attorney.
Reimbursement is limited to reasonable, documented expenses for cleanup and disinfection – does not include property damage or related claims. Reimbursement is limited to $5,000.00 per occurrence.
Claims must be submitted to the Baltimore City Law Department which makes all determinations of liability for claims filed against the City. For information regarding the general liability claims process, please visit the Law Department’s website, law.baltimorecity.gov.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR INSURED APPLICANTS
If your property is insured against sewage backups or equivalent events, you must receive a final, written determination from your insurance company before your application can be processed.
You must file this application within 90 days after the incident, but you may provide documentation from your insurance company up to 30 days after receipt from your insurer. You must include all documentation provided to and received from your insurance company with your application, including proof of any deductible paid. Deductibles may be eligible for reimbursement, provided that the cost(s) incurred are demonstrably linked to cleanup/disinfection.
WHAT TO EXPECT FROM US
Applications will be processed within 60 days after receiving all necessary information and documentation in support of your application. If your application is missing necessary information or supporting documentation you will be notified.
If your application is eligible and all qualifying expenses are documented appropriately, you will receive a release for signature. The release must be signed and received at the address above before your check may be processed.