Residential Recycling Carts
The Baltimore City Department of Public Works Residential Recycling Cart Program is a collaborative initiative that will provide a recycling cart at no cost to Baltimore City residents.
Recycling containers, particularly those that are lidded, encourage residents to participate in recycling. City-wide recycling initiatives improve the environment by keeping waste out of local waterways, providing for cleaner, healthier neighborhoods. The distribution of free recycling carts will implement a key recommendation in the City’s Less Waste, Better Baltimore Plan.
Provide recycling cart to Baltimore City residents.
Divert waste materials from the landfill and the waste incinerator.
- Residential Recycling Carts will be distributed to city residents starting at the end of September and continue for about 4 months.
- New recycling carts will be 65-gallons (the same as the standard City trash can). Call 311 for a smaller cart or to opt-out completely.
- Postcards will be mailed to eligible households 30 – 45 days in advance of the recycling cart arriving to inform residents of upcoming arrival.
When will I get my cart?
Our Cart Distribution Plan is data-driven and built considering the Urban Institute’s six-dimensional framework for defining and measuring equity. To learn more about the methodology behind the distribution schedule, visit our Recycling Cart StoryMap.
This initiative is made possible through a collaboration of nonprofit and public sector organizations. Grants, a 0% interest loan, and a fiscal sponsorship have provided residents with a more accessible way to participate in waste diversion and contribute to the cleaner and greener initiatives of the City and the Department of Public Works.
- Department of Public Works – Program and implementation lead.
- Baltimore Civic Fund – Partner and Fiscal Sponsor. Learn more
- The Recycling Partnership – A national nonprofit that provides grants to localities to improve recycling services and recycling rates. Learn more
- Closed Loop Fund – An investment firm focused on venture capital and project finance investing in advanced recycling technologies. Learn more
- Rehrig Pacific – Plastic residential cart manufacturer working with the Recycling Partnership to manufacture and distribute carts. Learn more