DPW Small Business Development Program
The Department of Public Works (DPW) supports economic and business development in Baltimore City and throughout the region. Serving one of the most diverse regions in the country, DPW invites local minorities, women, and/or disadvantaged businesses to learn more about its Small Business Development Training Program.
DPW’s Small Business Development Program offers construction management classes. This 10-week course is designed to make sure participants are contract-ready for the more than $3 billion in utility construction work, including Consent Decree sewer rehabilitation and replacement, and capital improvements under drinking water stormwater and wastewater.
The next construction management training program classes will run from Sept. 12 to Nov. 16, 2017. There is a nominal registration fee of $199, and participants will receive 10 training modules valued at $1,119. Click here to download an application for the Sept. 12- Nov. 16 training program classes. The application deadline is Aug. 18, 2017. All M/W/DBEs must complete an application prior to program participation.
A detailed overview of the program is available in the following brochure: "Getting to Market: Small Business Development Training Program 10-Week Curriculum."
For more information about the training program, please call 410-433-2400 or send an email to [email protected].
- Safety— a 10-hour OSHA certification card;
- Contract Administration — understanding and executing contracts;
- Scheduling — effective and realistic scheduling to complete projects “on time and within budget;”
- Estimating & Bidding — hands-on training with actual estimating and bidding exercises;
- Conflict Resolution —protocol, methodology, and legal considerations;
- Construction Accounting & Finance —learning about the dollars and cents of construction and how to do business with the City of Baltimore, and a complete coverage of City requirements and procedures; and
- Construction Best Practices — specialized training for trenchless sewer repair, site restoration, manhole repair, and lateral connections.
Individuals interested in advancing their companies and enhancing their knowledge of sewer rehabilitation work and related support services are invited to participate in the training Program. This program is designed to improve knowledge of utility construction and sewer rehabilitation work and prepare local certified and certifiable M/W/DBEs to be contract-ready.
For this training program, DPW is targeting companies that specialize in concrete construction, construction program/project management, excavating, landscaping, pipeline installation, post construction clean-up, scheduling, sediment and erosion control, sewer construction, site work, traffic control, or underground utilities.