Hardship Exemption Program
The Hardship Exemption Program exempts eligible customers from paying the Chesapeake Bay Restoration Fee and the Stormwater Remediation Fee. The eligibility requirements are the same as what is used by the State’s Office of Home Energy Program. The application may be downloaded, mailed to you by calling 410-396-5398, or available at your local community action partnership center, listed at the bottom of this page. You may email the application along with supporting information or bring the completed application to 200 Holliday St. 4th floor, Baltimore, MD 21202.
Who Can Apply?
Homeowners and tenants can apply each year for the discount if they meet the following criteria:
- The applicant must be a City of Baltimore resident who receives a water/sewer bill directly from the City.
- The applicant must certify that he/she is the property owner-of-record with the Maryland Department of Assessments and Taxation, or provide a lease showing his/her responsibility for paying water/sewer charges at that property.
Applicant must meet at least two of the following conditions:
- Receives energy assistance subsidy
- Receives public assistance - Supplemental Security
- Receives Income (SSI) or food stamps, and medical assistance
- Receives veterans, social security or social security disability benefits.
- Meets the gross income criteria below:
What happens after I am approved?
If approved you will not be charged the Maryland Chesapeake Bay Restoration and Stormwater Remediation Fees on future bills. You must apply annually to keep this Hardship Exemption. For assistance with the application please contact a local community action partnership center.
|Southeast Community Action Center
Diann Baker, Director
3411 Bank Street
Baltimore, Maryland 21224
Fax: (410) 545-6511
|Eastern Community Action Center
Diane Nesbitt Jones, Manager
1400 East Federal Street
Baltimore, Maryland 21213
Fax: (410) 727-1318
|Northern Community Action Center
David Smith, Manager
5225 York Road
Baltimore, Maryland 21212
Fax: (410) 545-7960
|Southern Community Action Center
Beulah McCain-Lucas, Manager
606 Cherry Hill Road
Baltimore, Maryland 21225
Fax: (410) 545-1702
|Northwest District Community Action Center
Diane Jones, Manager
3939 Reisterstown Road
Baltimore, Maryland 21215
Fax: (410) 367-5609